Welcome to the December edition of Tips & Trips, a roundup of vegan travel tips and blog posts by vegans who have recently traveled and documented their food finds. If you have some tips or want to submit a link, please contact us.
Vegan Travel Tips
- JL from the JL Goes Vegan Blog has been vegan for just under a year and has already figured out how to travel and keep up her new diet and lifestyle. Not only did she visit Barbados and report on her food finds, but she also wrote a great guest post for This Dish is Veg to share her tried and true strategies for the traveling vegan.
- Spencer from the Observations from the Road Less Traveled blog vacationed in the Bahamas and returned with some advice for vegan voyagers. Check out this post on Traveling While Vegan – 10 Ways to Stay Committed and Healthy.
- Colleen Patrick-Goudreau shares her travel tips in a recent episode of the Vegetarian Food for Thought podcast titled Finding Abundance while Traveling in General (and in Ireland).
- You can never have too many vegan travel tips (can you!?)! Hugo Essog shares his 7 travel tips for vegans.
- If you’re traveling by air during the remainder of the holidays or planning a trip for early in the new year, take Vega Chic’s advice and request a special vegan meal from the airline.
- Courtney’s Vegan Journal interviews Donna Zeigfinger, owner of Green Earth Travel who shared helpful suggestions for vegans planning a domestic or international trip.
- Eco-Vegan Gal polled Twitter users on healthy vegan travel snacks ideas for plane travel during the holidays. She has some great ideas that you can use anytime of the year or on any mode of transportation.
- When traveling and having limited access to a kitchen, vegans often turn to convenience foods. Leigh from A Vegan Obsession shares some of her favourite vegan convenience foods to pack when traveling.
- Speaking of convenience meals, Tasty Bite makes Indian and Thai inspired vegan meals that are great for camping, backpacking or quick dinners at home. All you need is some boiling water. Cristen from Circle our Earth did a review of Tasty Bite after taking their products on a camping trip.
- Cristen (of Circle our Earth) has traveled around the world as a vegan, so it’s safe to say she knows her stuff. She will be sharing her experiences with others who aspire to travel and eat vegan at an upcoming Vegetarian Travel Class at REI in Austin, TX on January 11th, 2010.
Vegan Travel Bloggers
- It seems we’re always thinking about finding food in airports or on planes but Bonzai Aphrodite gives us a different perspective. She takes us through a vegan travel day, reminding us to eat well the day before, keep things light while in the air and eat lots of healthy food when we arrive at our destination.
- If your travels bring you to New York’s JFK airport, and you just happen to be in the International Terminal 7, you can thank Quarry Girl for pointing you to the vegan meals available at Balducci’s Deli.
- Natala Constantine traveled a lot this year and put together a list of the 20 Best Vegan Restaurants from her 2010 travels.
- Polly from Veggywood published the last part of her series on being vegan in Asia. You can read all about her adventures in Kyoto, Japan.
- Walt Goodridge, aka the Jamaican in China, tells the story of how he managed to remain in top notch form and positively enjoy being a vegan in China.
- Glauce from All about (vegan) food visited Italy and found neat vegan products, including ice cream, cheese, pastries and biscuits.
- Végétalien à Paris traveled to Copenhagen, Denmark and wrote a great roundup detailing all the vegan meals (and desserts) she found there.
- Maria the Vegan World Trekker interviewed Vegalicious about traveling in Amsterdam and cooking in an RV. Maria also posted about a trip to Washington, DC and what to do if you get sick on vacation.
- Before heading to Italy, Jessica from Veggie Cookie packed some snacks for the plane ride and did her best to empty the fridge by making an eclectic soup.
- Talia Boo, who you may remember from her recent guest post about traveling on business in Kitchener, Ontario, wrote a guest post for This Dish is Veg about finding vegan fare in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
- Megan from Sweet On posted a travel flashback about her time in Paris.
- Have you been dreaming of embarking on a big road trip? One vegan is looking for someone to join in on a year long vegan road trip starting in the fall of 2011. The purpose is to find and eat at as many vegan restaurants in the USA as possible. The adventures will be chronicled on a blog.
Vegan & Vegetarian Travel Blogroll Additions
- This month I added a few new vegan travel blogs to my blog roll. First up, there’s Marty’s Flying Vegetarian (Vegan Really) Review, a blog written by Marty, a vegan pilot who documents the vegan meals he eats while traveling around the country.
- The Abrams Family World Travel blog is about the adventures of a vegan family traveling around the world. This family of three is keeping up a vegan diet while traveling with a young son and pregnant with their second child. If they can travel with children, while pregnant and stay vegan, so can you! They’re now in South America and have been sharing information about their vegan experiences in Bueons Aires, Argentina and Montevideo, Uruguay. They’ve also shared tips on supplements to pack while traveling as a vegan and pregnant.
- The Traveling Plant Eater is a new blog by Ray, a frequent business flyer who has decided to take up a plant-based diet to improve his health. He’s recently blogged about finding vegan food in Hong Kong, Hong Kong Airport, Napa Valley, and Berkeley, CA.