Welcome to the February edition of Tips & Trips, a roundup of vegan travel tips and blog posts by vegans who have recently traveled and documented their food finds. If you have some tips or want to submit a link, please contact us.
Vegan Travel Tips
- The Roaming Carrot is a new website for vegetarian and green-minded travelers that launched this month. Heather, the woman behind the site, has already published some great articles with tips for finding veggie options while on American road trips and when visiting Japan or Santa Catalina Island, California.
- If you’re thinking of volunteering during your next vacation, check out One Green Planet’s list of 10 Amazing Volunteer Vacations Where You Can Help Animals
- Another idea for your spring vacation: Join Compassion Over Killing on a fundraiser journey where you can volunteer at the Woodstock Sanctuary
- While gearing up for her book tour, Lindsay aka Happy Herbivore posted some advice for vegan travelers and included a list of vegan options you can find at fast food chains
- USA Today Travel published a bleak article titled Vegetarians, vegans face special challenges while traveling.
- Thankfully, Robin Soslow, a PETA blogger, wrote a great response to the USA Today article and showcased some of the vegan meals she has enjoyed while dining on the road. This month Robin also blogged about her vegan finds in Palm Springs and Albuquerque.
- Stuart Perkins brings us another positive article about traveling while vegan. This one mentions that the lack of vegan airline meals is a blessing in disguise because in-flight meals are often mediocre and bringing your own food is a much better option.
- Tess from Radiant Health Inner Wealth lists 10 tips for eating healthy and mostly raw while traveling
- The Vegan Around the World Network reached 1500 members this month and Feather has put together some tips on how to use the network to help with travel planning
Vegan Travel Bloggers – International
- All month long Amey from Vegan Eats & Treats has been blogging about her trip to India. She has many great posts on the topic but some of my favourites are about spices she brought home, plane snacks (India style!) and the classic components of eating out in India.
- Katie from Not Your Parents’ Granola escaped Canadian winter and headed to Cuba for a vacation. She packed vegan snacks and wrote about the vegan options at the resort.
- Christy The Blissful Chef continues to write about her trip to Asia, this time showcasing two restaurants in Bangkok
- The Spinach Blog returns from Spain with the good news that it’s not so hard to eat out as a vegan in cities like Madrid and Granada
- Will Joce of Venere Travel wrote an article about vegetarian restaurants in Vienna, Austria
- Jen, The RAW Type 1 Diabetic, vacationed in Puerto Rico and wrote about her experience dealing with a different eating routine and staying at the Maravilla bed and breakfast where she enjoyed all of this beautiful food
- The folks at Never Ending Voyage bring us another great veggie roundup about South American cuisine. This time it’s a post about veg options in Cuenca, Ecuador.
- VeggieHiddenTreasures shares a list of the top vegan restaurants world-wide. I’ll have to come up with my own list at some point. I’ve only had the chance to eat at one restaurant on their list.
- Jessica from Dairy Free Betty got married (!!!) in Mexico and found a few yummy looking vegan options at the hotel resort
Vegan Travel Bloggers – Canada & USA
- Brian from Brian on Health has a video that details all of the fruit and greens he packed for a three day school trip to Washington, DC. This guy is 15 and already on to a raw vegan low fat diet!
- Bitt of Raw shares her tips for eating well when eating out. She’s got lots of great advice that can be put in to practice when eating out in your city or while traveling.
- Amber, the Hot Raw Chef (Congrats!) from Almost Vegan, and her boyfriend Matt went on a quick trip to San Francisco and then proceeded to set out on a road trip that brought them first to Oklahoma where they reunited with the beloved 105 degrees menu
- Jasmine from A day in the life of a raw food traveler shows us how to make raw vegan sushi in the back of a road trip van. She also has lots of photos of vegan food options spotted from Jackson, MS to Nashville, TN.
- The Traveling Plant Eater tells us where to look for vegan food in the Miami and San Francisco airports
- At the Vegan Travel Challenge you can read about the vegan choices available at ski resorts in New Hampshire
- MeShell from Prairie Vegan visited Philadelphia and wrote three posts about her trip. One, two, three…check em out!
- Hilary from More Squash Please shares the tale of her big fat vegan Ashville vacation
- Clarissa from Hooked on Beauty blogged about the best vegetarian, vegan, (and just plain healthy restaurants) she found on a trip to Arizona and California