Welcome to the January edition of Tips & Trips, a roundup of vegan travel tips and blog posts by vegans who have recently traveled and documented their food finds. If you have some tips or want to submit a link, please contact us.
Vegan Travel Tips
- Sayward from Bonzai Aphrodite wrote an awesome article detailing her tips for vegans on vacation. But that’s not all! She also took us along for the (airplane) ride with her story of a day in the life of a vegan traveler.
- SheKnows Miso Vegan has some suggestions for easy to tote vegan snacks, including baked tortilla chips and graham cracker nut butter sandwiches
- The famous Kris Carr shares her tips for eating well on the road (video)
- Fairmont Hotels have introduced some new menu items with choices for people who are looking for gluten free and vegan meals
- Shreen Travles Cheap has lots of travel tips for vegetarians. She recommends websites you can use to reach restaurants before you leave, iPhone applications to use when at restaurants and websites to checkout for flight deals.
Vegan Travel Bloggers – International
- Jeff, The Cool Vegetarian, is in Thailand and writing about his life there as a raw vegan, getting in lots of local fruit, exercise, meditation and massages. He’s been writing about easy ways to travel vegan, vegetarian or raw in Thailand and sharing videos about eating healthy and cheap, as well as the Bangkok restaurant and street food scene.
- Frederic Patenaude is a raw vegan who has been traveling in Thailand, China and the Philippines. He has a new video about raw food and veganisim in China, and a funny article about eating raw vegan at hotel breakfast buffets.
- Sasha from To Happy Vegans travels to Sri Lanka and shows us all of the amazing sights and food she found there in a two part series
- Courtney of Courtney’s Vegan Journal shares travel highlights from London and Florida
- British Airways weighs in on the best vegetarian restaurants in London debate
- The Robertsons of Mumbai score a vegan lunch at Pret in the London Heathrow Airport
- Amanda, a vegan blogger for VegOttawa, went to London too and reviews some of the city’s veggie restaurant options
- Jojo, Vegan in Brighton, posts part one of a vegan trip to Pairs
- Sassy Hong Kong put together a short list of the top five veggie restaurants in Hong Kong, China
- The Traveling Plant Eater has been doing lots of globe trotting, bringing us updates from the Caribbean, Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH), Taipei, Taiwan and more vegan options in Hong Kong. He also did a post showcasing the vegan meal options in business class and economy on Cathay Pacific Airways .
- The Abrams Family has some great suggestions for vegans in Buenos Aires, Argentina. They found a few places we missed.
- Maria the Vegan World Trekker makes me want to hop on a plane right now and head to Iceland. Turns out Iceland has vegan food options and Maria’s got tips on packing for a vegan winter holiday.
- Hubpages adds a comprehensive vegetarian survival guide to Mexico to their travel section
Vegan Travel Bloggers – Canada & USA
- Marty the Vegan Pilot gets stuck at the New Jersey airport due to poor weather conditions and heads to a nearby Trader Joe’s to gather a few ingredients and prepare a makeshift dinner. He also brings us updates from his quick stopovers in Palm Springs, Anguilla (a Caribbean island), Raleigh, North Carolina, and Nassau, Bahamas. And then there’s also Marty’s epic photos from his flying kitchen.
- Lindsay from The Happy Herbivore hangs out and eats out in the snowboarding oasis that is Whistler, British Columbia. She also shows us how to make hotel room veggie burgers.
- The Epicurious Vegan takes a trip to North Ireland and shares her list of 12 Things to Know Before You Go, which includes lots of great travel advice and some ideas for vegan snacks. I hope she shares news of the North Ireland food finds soon!!!
- JL from JL Goes Vegan travels some more! This time to San Francisco and Napa Valley. Her restaurant reviews for Millennium, Ubuntu and Saha are on This Dish is Veg.
- Amanda the Hungry Vegan Traveler returns to Gainesville, Florida and finds lots of yummy looking food. One noteworthy item is an awesome looking slice of vegan coconut rum cake portioned for three.
- Bitt of Raw travels to Florida and shares some tips for keeping your travel budget in check when shopping at Whole Foods. She also responds to a guest post about restrictive diets and shares her thoughts on being more flexible while traveling.
- The Blissful Chef Christy highlights some of the best vegan food in Portland, Oregon and tells us why she likes to fly Koren Air when traveling to Asia
- Feather from Vegan Around the World is back in LA and recently wrote some articles for Examiner.com, including one on vegan food in the San Fernando Valley and another with three tips for vegan travel planning. On her personal blog, she created a photo gallery of meals enjoyed at the Loving Huts restaurants she ate at in Vancouver, San Francisco, Paris and Menton, France.
- Talia Boo takes a business trip to Guelph, Ontario where she finds some vegan options and enjoys a room service veggie stir fry at the Delta
- Dori from Healing Thur Food writes about her experience finding food and staying healthy while on a US road trip where she stopped in cities like Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama
- Jasmine from A Day in the Life of a Raw Food Traveler updates us on her road trip, sharing travel stories about the trip from Austin, TX to Jackson, MS. She shows us how to make smoothies and salads on the road.
- Carolyn the Healthy Voyager has a list of the places to eat while in Orlando, Florida. If you’re heading to one of the city’s theme parks you can rest easy knowing you’ll be able to score some tasty vegan food there too.
- Jennifer at It Ain’t Meat, Babe goes to San Francisco, gets sick, but still finds some good eats
- I can’t say I’ve ever considered Norfolk, Virgina as a vacation destination but Peta does a good job of showing how vegan friendly it can be for out of town guests dining at restaurants