Welcome to the October edition of Tips & Trips, a roundup of vegan travel tips and blog posts by vegans who have recently traveled and documented their food finds. If you have some tips or want to submit a link, please contact us.
Vegan Travel Tips
- Many airlines offer specialty meals on long flights but, due to cutbacks, meal options are limited on short trips. I’ve yet to fly with an airline that has a vegan sandwich on their buy-on-board menu. This is why I was super excited to hear about Vegan Pimp‘s experience with Jet Blue. She bought the ShapeUp box, which was full of healthy vegan snacks.
- Babe in Soyland has some ideas for vegan ladies who want to pack smart, and light.
- Do your furry friends come along for family vacations? Check out the It’s a Vegan Dog’s Life blog for a list of their favorite travel products.
- Maria from Vegan World Trekker just launched her first eBook, which has tips for vegan travelers. For another new book that features some travel advice, check out Street Smart Vegan by Jay Wesley Anderson.
- Whether you’re going on a short business trip or visiting friends for the weekend, why not pack your essentials in a stylish and vegan-friendly travel bag? Corrie from Brooklyn Bliss, has created a short list of vegan weekender bags.
- Users of Vegan Diets, a site for questions, answers and information, offered some great advice to a teen who is trying to eat vegan while traveling with her family.
- Are you a vegan with allergies? If yes, I’d recommend reading the latest post by the Discerning Kitchen, which documents the advanced planning required when traveling as a vegan who also avoids soy, corn, gluten and other major allergens.
- If you’re planning to travel somewhere cool (as in temperature), Heather from the Healthy Vegan Recipes blog has some advice on foods you can eat to warm you up while on the road.
Vegan Travel Bloggers
- I shared some stories from Prague earlier this month but didn’t manage to cover all of the city’s veggie options. For more on this city, you can read reviews by Vegtastic and Vegan in Brighton. But don’t stop there! Read about Vegan in Brighton’s adventures in Vienna, Zurich, Luxembourg, Cologne and Berlin.
- Sarah, The Ordinary Vegetarian, also had some recent European eating adventures. This month she wrote about her visit to Spain and Amsterdam, where she found so much awesome vegan food, she had to split up her review into two parts. As if that isn’t exciting enough, she also published a post with tons of photos of the food she enjoyed while in the vegan mecca that is NYC.
- On the United States front, To Happy Vegans visited Portland, Oregon and summarized their finds into two categories: eating out, and eating in. For even more US food, Bitt of Raw has posted about her time spent in Massachusetts, DC and Virginia
- We visited Florence, Italy in August, when everything was closed, including all of the city’s vegan and vegetarian restaurants. Our tips (coming soon) will be limited to food we found at “regular” restaurants but EuroCheap has a great article with a roundup of the best places to find veg-friendly fare in the Florence.
- Speaking of vegan food in Italy, check out some food porn on the Vegan Around the World blog. The photos were taken by Feather, who has been traveling for several months and most recently touring around Italy.
- Christy, The Blissful Chef, has been busy traveling around Asia. She’s been reporting on her trip, and including some notes about vegan food finds in Malaysia, Thailand and Japan.
- The traveling nomads from The Never Ending Voyage blog recently passed through Sucre, Bolivia, where we were earlier this year, and have compiled an off the beaten track tour of Sucre’s vegetarian-friendly (some vegan options) restaurants.
- Polly from Veggywood recently returned from a trip to Asia and posted her first travel recap with lost of pictures and information about her vegan finds in Hong Kong. She’ll be posting more about her trip in coming weeks so stay tuned :)